The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

What's Occurring?

Friday, January 23, 2015



The Pages

  • The year has started off fairly well reading wise (as you'll see here). I've just finished Antigoddess by Kendare Blake, which was a fun read (just one of the many great books I found out about through the YA Superlative Blogfest!) and I immediately ordered the sequel Mortal Gods - in hardback no less, so it must have been alright, eh?! 
  • Currently, I'm reading The Ex-Games by Jennifer Echols for the YA Buccaneers Reading Mutiny Challenge. I am pleased to say, in true Jennifer Echols style, it is rather entertaining so far. 
  • Generally, I like to read one YA and one 'adult' fiction at the same time. So, queued up in the 'adult fiction' bookshelf of my Kindle: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick and After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I also STILL need to read The Goldfinch

The Soundtrack

[I'll always include a Spotify playlist of everything I'm listening to at the bottom if you care to have a browse]
  • I'm not much of a J.Cole fan but I decided to listen to his latest album. I like what he says at some points but then he calls women bitches far too much and I just can't deal with that. You can't salute some of the coolest women in one verse and then call other women bitches in another. That's why I couldn't take that song he did about being beautiful on the inside or whatever seriously. That's it - his lyrics lack sincerity. It feels like lip service. I didn't mean to go on a rant and I'm sure many people read his lyrics in a different way but that's just what I think. Maybe I just don't get him... 

  • I've been listening to Supermodel by Foster the People again and a bit of Tame Impala thanks to that brilliant Mark Ronson & Kevin Parker track Daffodils. Speaking of Mark Ronson, I finally listened to Uptown Special and wasn't wowed - same with Nicki Minaj's The Pinkprint. 
  • I love Sia's Elastic Heart - she's such a talented woman. Although I must admit I prefer the version with The Weeknd
  • Finally, I can't get enough of Promeses - turn it up loud and wait for the drop! 
<

The Words

  • Not much happening with the writing. I'm going to try and re-write one of my old NaNoWriMo wins in the third person, you know, just because...
  • I'm incubating an idea but it's not ready for anything yet. I might try and write a snippet at the weekend and see what happens. I can't quite hear the main character's voice yet though.  
On Screen

  • I'm not doing very well when it comes to catching up with awards season. However, I saw Into the Woods last week and really liked it - who doesn't like a little bit of Sondheim? Well, ok a lot of people don't but still. I also watched Boyhood and LOVED it. I get it. I get all the buzz and love. Such a unique film. Such a great cast. 
  • Wolf Hall premiered on Wednesday over here. I liked it and was pleasantly surprised when I realised I'd read all of what was shown, which means I might've read more than 100 pagers after all. Score. Looking forward to next week. I do love Tudor history. 
  • Broadchurch is back on over here and so far I'm enjoying it (if enjoying is the right word). Olivia Coleman on the stand the other night broke my heart. 
  • I *ahem* heard that Empire is really good. It's just nice that there's a show on TV again with a majority black cast. According to Deadline, network bosses are taking note of the success of How to Get Away With Murder, Jane the Virgin, and Blackish and are looking to continue diversifying our small screens. Hurrah. Welcome to the new millenium. 
  • Speaking of Jane the Virgin, I can't wait until it starts over here on E4. Same with Nashville season 3. 
  • Over the Christmas period I got hooked on the first season of Arrow. I need to buy the second season. I've also almost finished Freaks & Geeks. My mum swears we used to watch it but I don't remember any of the episodes. I can't believe there's only one season. If it were on today, I'm sure it would've been picked up for many more but back then there were loads of good teen shows so the competition was strong. These days all we have is Pretty Little Liars and I've realised I just really can't get into that show - all the seasons are now on Netflix UK but I just...can't and I really liked the books when I was younger!
So, what have you been up to?

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!