The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'd Love to Read if I Had A Book Club

Tuesday, January 27, 2015





Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is: Top Ten Books I'd Love to Read if I Had A Book Club. 

I've never really belonged to a book club, so I just chose books from my TBR list that would (hopefully) generate discussion.





THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN by Paula Hawkins- It's never fair on the author to describe a book as 'the new XYZ' but I keep seeing this being referred to as 'the new Gone Girl' and, well, that's a pretty intriguing comparison so I'm eager to give it a go. If it is indeed anything like Gone Girl, I'm sure we'd have lots to talk about at my imaginary book club. 

SHOTGUN LOVESONGS by Nickolas Butter - Well, now that I'm getting towards the backend of my twenties, lots of my peers have left and returned, left again and are now returning thanks to the harsh economic climate. Doom gloom bah humbug. So, again, I'm sure we'd have a lot to talk about after reading this one.

HALF OF A YELLOW SUN by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieI wish I'd read Americanah as part of a group, so why not start with this one?

AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman - Some books require cheerleading whilst reading or else you'll probably give up (see: Wolf Hall). I have a feeling this book falls into that category, which is why I've always put off reading it.

BAD FEMINIST by Roxanne Gay - A conversation starter for sure. 

SCANDALS OF CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD by Anne Helen PetersonI love my celebrity gossip blogs and I'd hope my fellow book club members would love them too. So, we'd have lots of fun discussing all of the drama and scandal. 

FALLING INTO PLACE by Amy Zhang - I've heard nothing but good things about this book. I feel like for book club, you'd have to pick 'serious' YA in the same way that film club is for your Being John Malkovich watching rather than, say, The Hot Chick. 

Z FOR ZACHARIAH by Robert C. O'Brien - It's always good to pick a book that's due in cinemas anytime soon. That way you can do a group trip.

NOGGIN by John Corey Whaley - Again, I've heard lots of good things about this one. An unusual plot is always a good place to start. 

6 comments

  1. So many books I still need to read. Great picks. Thanks for sharing.

    I accidentally did next week's post on accident, but still check it out please. mine's here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I love that you've included American Gods and Noggin - definitely good conversation starters. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll get to American Gods but I reckon Noggin will come first. I'm not doing well with long books at the moment!

      Delete
  3. I loved Falling into Place! I could see that one starting some really good conversations, especially since the MC isn't the most likable character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I look forward to reading it then! I need a good book to make-up for this week's rather disappointing read.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!