The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Sunday Brunch: Season Winners and Losers

Sunday, June 15, 2014




Brunch isn't really a big deal over here but I love the idea of it - and enjoy going to brunch whilst on holiday. Whenever I'm throwing together ideas for a new story, one of my favourite things to do is go Google Maps-ing for all the nice restaurants in the area. As I have dairy intolerance, I often have to watch what I eat at restaurants so it's not always a fun experience. However, the rise of all those Food Network shows and Pinterest and all the great reviews on Yelp and Chowhound allow me to live vicariously through all you gastronauts. 

So, I thought I'd try and start a new feature (although I'm not good at keeping up features so we'll see) where we go for brunch on a Sunday, anywhere in the world, and have a chat. This week we'll be:



Last year I did a little TV winners and losers things, so thought I might as well do it this year. I haven't been as impressed with TV this season as I have been in the past but I think I've watched more TV this year, which is kind of crazy. I've been watching The Hollywood Reporter's Emmy Roundtable series and have the most respect for all those involved in television (if you like TV, I'd urge you to watch too). Anyway, let's talk about the past season.

WINNERS

The Good Wife has been absolutely outstanding this season and not just because of the surprise halfway through! I liked that there was an actual story arc rather than just odd cases every week. Also, the recurring guest stars as judges, lawyers, and clients gimmick is one of the most charming things about the show. During the showrunners roundtable, someone (I think it might have been Matthew Weiner but I'm not sure) talked about how networks aren't too keen on arcs because of syndication. They like to be able to shoot the episodes out of order, then they can show them out of order. I thought that was really interesting and it made me think 'oh yeah, I suppose they do' when I considered shows like Big Bang Theory. I sometimes watch 2-3 episodes in one day (don't judge) and they're often from different seasons yet it really doesn't matter.

That was a longer paragraph than I intended so I'll just summarise the rest:

  • Game of Thrones is still excellent in terms of being shocking and keeping audience attention each week (which is getting harder and harder to do successfully, don't you think?) but it hasn't been my favourite season overall. 
  • Suits, House of Cards, and Mad Men were all of a high standard. Mad Men especially. I'm really sad it's going to be over soon but I also respect the fact that it is a finite piece of work and I'm sure it will go down in history as a classic. 
  • Chicago Fire is a show I've only just got into but I love the character development. It's like a tamer Rescue Me, which means the whole family can watch. Always a bonus.
  • About A Boy has also gone down well in our household. This is mostly to do with the actors - I think it has a great cast and it's the kind of show that can run for a long time. 
  • The Mindy Project, Big Bang Theory, and Modern Family have all managed to keep me laughing. 


LOSERS

  • Nashville. I'm sorry y'all. I just couldn't stick with Rayna and Juliette. I might watch it on catch up though because I do love the music and the melodrama.
  • Grey's Anatomy. I'm only watching this a) to say goodbye to Sandra Oh. Cristina Yang is hands down one of my favourite TV characters and b) because my mum and sister still enjoy it and I'm usually in the room when it comes on.
  • New Girl. I don't like Nick and Jess together (I don't know if they break up, I didn't get that far). To me, the tone of the show came across like a big in joke between the cast members and it felt rather closed off to the audience, so I switched off.
  • Keeping Up With The Kardashians. YES I WATCH THIS, WATCHAGONNADO?! Except the last season was really, really boring. They're clutching at straws. Methinks it's time for E! to find a new tent pole show. 
  • Star-Crossed. I wouldn't call it a loser as such. More like A for effort, better luck next time. 


I RESPECT YO REALNESS FOR REALS

I still watch a lot of reality TV and I'm not ashamed of it. Not really anyway.

  • The Amazing Race never gets old for me. Even when they rehash contestants and call it an All-Star season. 
  • Eric and Jessie: Game On. My sister got me into this one. They're sweet in their own way and I like the relationship Jessie and Sydney have. 
  • Wendy Williams Show. How you doin'? Not quite reality but she talks about reality TV a lot and I can't get enough. After Elevator-Gate, the first thing we all said was 'what's Wendy going to say on Hot Topics?!' I was so upset when I couldn't get tickets for a taping during our trip to NYC!
  • I also love our UK shows like Made In Chelsea, The Only Way Is Essex, and Gogglebox.


TBW

So, I have a rather long list of shows To Be Watched just like my TBR (To Be Read) list. From this season I'll have to add:

  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I gave up around episode 8 or 9 then caught a later episode the other day and was impressed. I also heard it gets much better in the run up to the finale.
  • Scandal, Hart of Dixie, and Real Housewives of Atlanta are being messed around with by UK broadcasters. Really (a TV channel) dropped Hart of Dixie, which is SO ANNOYING because I miss Zoe Hart. Scandal was dropped by Channel 4 and picked up by Sky Living who are showing it all from the beginning (haha, sorry, this means nothing to you lovely readers outside of the UK does it? However it has annoyed me that I want to vent. Humour me.) As for RHOA, well ITV2 are showing season 5 at the moment so hopefully it will be on soon. 
  • Broolyn Nine-Nine. I watch the odd episode now and again but haven't given it my full attention despite finding it quite charming.
  • As for last year, well I still haven't watched Southland and I desparately want to try Orphan Black.

So, that was a lot longer than I expected and I didn't even get to talk about my favourites in depth. Tell me, what did you enjoy or dislike this season? What's on your TBW list? Do you have any recommendations for me? 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!