The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

What's Occurring?

Friday, April 18, 2014


As I've said before, I've never really gotten into the habit of doing a Friday links type post but I often have little topics that I want to talk about or come across things in the week that warrant sharing, so I'll try and do this at least once a month. 

The Pages

  • I think I'm heading into a reading slump. I've got two more that I have to read and then I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe try and get through some non-fiction? I've been meaning to get Misty Copeland's Life In Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina. Also, Elaine Lui - author of my favourite gossip blog Lainey Gossip - has her book out this month, Listen To The Squawking Chicken.  I've also been inspired by Natalie's (Natflix&Books) chick-lit post. I might go back to some old favourites or try some new ones. I don't know. I also think I need to just stick to one book at a time.
  • Anyway, at the moment I'm reading Past The Shallows (which is actually really good) and All The Things You Are (which I think I will like once I can sit down and get into it). 

The Soundtrack

  • I was in Boots the other day (our most popular national drugstore chain) and was pleasantly surprised to hear The Thrills' Santa Cruz (ETA: Actually it was Big Sur but both are great songs) being piped through the sound system. Then I heard Beating Heart Baby by Head Automatica and Bandages by Hot Hot Heat on the same day and got all nostalgic. Also, I watched A Lot Like Love and Breathe by Anna Nalick is featured at some point. That song always makes me think of Grey's Anatomy. So, I've been revisiting those types of mid-aughties songs/artists. 
  • Also been listening to my Camp NaNoWriMo playlist (here if you want to listen too).
  • New music - LOVE Paolo Nutini's new album Caustic Love, especially One Day. I like Shakira's new album too - ever since seeing her live in 2010 (I think) I've been a big fan. She better be releasing a new World Cup song. As much as I love Waka Waka, I think we need something with more of a Latin flavour to get us in the mood. Not long now, eh?!


The Words

  • As I said above, I'm doing Camp NaNo and so far...it hasn't been too bad. I still don't really love what I'm writing but I've had this one, mainly the main character, rattling about in my head since about 2009. So, it's cathartic to let her speak even if I'm not keen on what she's saying. Anyway, so far I've written 15,499/20,000. I like that you can give yourself such a low goal for Camp. Takes the pressure off. 

And The Rest...Links And All

  • I finished my Coursera course - yay! It was quite interesting and I find myself spurting off stuff about EU policies and whatnot every now and then. 
  • Still no luck on the job front - in fact it has been a fortnight of back to back to back rejections. 
  • I booked my ticket to see Rainbow Rowell at Waterstones Piccadilly. So excited!
  • I've got a new reality show addiction - Eric and Jessie: Game On. 
  • Game of Thrones is back with a bang. Are you watching? 
  • I've watched a lot of these Lauren Mechelle Youtube videos. Over the last two years, I've gotten really into haircare and skincare routines - trying different products, researching, Into The Gloss-ing. Unemployment will do that to ya. Anyway, her videos have been the most helpful. 
  • Finally, did you see Captain America 2? It was probably my favourite Marvel film to date. Also, I will now only refer to Chris Evans by Bedhead at Celebitchy's special name for him

2 comments

  1. Aw, thanks for the shout-out. I actually find going back an reading an old favorite does help reading slumps. So cool you get to see Rainbow Rowell at Waterstones. That will be so fun. I love GOT, but I'm always a season behind because I don't have HBO and just wait until it comes out on DVD and then my husband and I binge watch the entire series in, like, 2 days. Lol. Good luck with the rest of you NaNo goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did with the first season of GoT. There aren't too many episodes per season so it's an easy binge watch - a bit like Mad Men, which reminds me, I need to get caught up so I can watch the new episodes!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!