The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

Ruby Sparks and Celeste + Jesse Forever

Sunday, October 21, 2012

This week, I have managed to squeeze in two trips to the cinema. First of all, I watched Ruby Sparks, which I was pleasantly surprised to find showing at my local Odeon. Usually, for these types of films I would have to go to London.


Ruby Sparks is about Calvin who is suffering from a bit of writer's block. His therapist provides him with an activity to help alleviate the problem (along with many of his others) and as a result he ends up bringing to life his dream girl. 

I really enjoyed this film. It was the right length, had enough humour to keep me entertained, and most importantly had a strong supporting cast (Elliot Gould, Annette Bening, Chris Messina) . I think Paul Dano did a great job because on paper his character is not the most likeable (especially towards the end of the film) however he still managed to make Calvin seem human. Zoe Kazan out manic pixie girl'd all those who had gone before her (at least in the last couple of years anyway). 

However, one of my favourite things about this film was the score. The opening chords that accompanied the first scene reminded me of 500 Days of Summer (a score that I loved- wasn't so keen on the film) and then this motif returned each time Calvin sat down at his typewriter (an image that became more and more sinister). It reminded me a little of Philip Glass' Symphony No.4. 

Anyway, I really liked this film and I will be purchasing the soundtrack once I find it. 





I was lucky enough to see this yesterday at the BFI London Film Festival. I'd been hearing about this film throughout the summer and I'm a big fan of Rashida Jones, so I was looking forward to watching this. I was definitely not disappointed- I loved it! 

Celeste and Jesse are best friends. Who are married. But are separated. Much to the bemusement of their friends. However, the balance is eventually tipped as a few more people are added to their friendquation and the two have to confront their issues despite the pain. 

This film was bittersweet- something that is quite difficult to achieve. It was obvious that there was a lot of truth to the story (and this was backed up by the director, Lee Toland Krieger, in a Q&A at the end), which will always make a more authentic end product. Celeste was a very human character, especially after watching Ruby the day before, and we were shown a lot of her 'flaws' yet she still demanded sympathy from her audience. This was mostly due to the supporting cast and the relationships she had with them (Emma Roberts was good in her small role; Chris Messina popped up again too) - obviously, mostly with Jesse. Andy Samberg could've played Jesse as the man/child character that seems to be in every film these days, however he portrayed a character who would probably resound with more than a few thirty-somethings who are in the creative sector during this bad economy. 

Once again, music was very important to this film too. The songs fit the mood of the film perfectly. They weren't trying to force the latest indie artist down your throat and most importantly, the music wasn't too loud! So often nowadays the songs are so overwhelmingly loud! 

Overall, I really enjoyed Celeste + Jesse Forever and I hope it does very well at the box office over here when it comes out. 

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!