The Clasp by Sloane Crosley These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik

My Hustle, So Russell

Friday, September 14, 2012


The job market in the UK right now is DIRE. Despite reports of unemployment falling it is still hard out there for a recent graduate. Yesterday, I did a stupid thing and roughly counted how many applications I had saved in my documents folder. It surpassed 100. And those were just the CV's and cover letters that I had tailored to specific jobs. I've sent far more standard CV's and completed countless online forms. 

Then to make matters worse, I was scrolling down my news feed and saw that a friend had posted about their unemployment. I commiserated silently and was about to continue scrolling when I noticed all the comments. These were not sympathetic comments like my silent one. No, these were job offers- and proper one's at that! Well, if I'd known you could get job offers just by posting on the internet, I would have done it sooner. Except, all of my friends on that site are actually my friends, and surely if they had jobs they would have offered them sooner? So, more than ever, it is about who you know and who you've connected with over time. I am going to have to take advice from Hov and make like Russell Simmons. Here are some pointers for my fellow unemployed grad's feeling a little down today:

First, equip the mind. It is evident that the Tech industry is the place to be these days, so I have started an online Computer Science course over at Coursera (and signed up for a Logic course, which is more for fun). Add new skills. The more you have to offer, the harder it is for them to dismiss you. 

Second step, broaden your circle. I'm wary of social media like Twitter and all that but it seems like more and more people are making their work connections on there. 

Third step, take heed of the wise words written by Emily Dickinson: "Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door". Keep pushing, knock on every door. In fact, burst through it and declare "I'm here!" like Juwanna Mann. Someone will take you under their wing, eventually. 

Finally, just keep on keeping on. It's hard but it's something that has been going on for time immemorial. Your time will come. Just make sure that when it does, you're ready. 



Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!